Do you ever look back at something that you thought was sooo hilarious at the time, in reality turned out to be just plain silly? This is my case last Friday night.
I went to Kroger's to get a few last minute things...in the chip and pop aisle, a guy came walking toward me. He was tall, dark haired, had glasses and looked "bookish/nerdish" (Think high school chemistry teacher/priest). He passed and I noticed that he had a size tag still affixed to the back of his pant leg. I am always thinking when stuff like this happens..."Where is John Quinniones from 20/20?" "Am I being followed by a camera to document my reaction?" I was on the phone with Deb at the time and asked her...do I pull the tag off, or let him walk around with it on his trousers? Basically he's advertising that "these are new jeans and I didn't wash them before I wore them". (The latter was a big no-no for my mom...I, on the other hand, never wash my new jeans...I wear them first and deal with blue-dyed underwear later) Deb said to go for it and blog about it. I followed him to the beer aisle and said "Sir...hold still for a moment...you've got something on the back of your pant leg." He froze like a deer in headlights. I ripped the tag off and showed him. He stood frozen for about 5 seconds grabbed a 6 pack of Bud Light, gave no eye-contact and briskly walked by me. After a couple of steps, he turned back with a hint of a smile and thanked me. I hope I didn't mortify him.
I'm a mom...it's my nature to fix and straighten up stuff. I guess too, I have issues with shirt collars, shoe strings, snaps, and fuzz balls. I actually tell people that they have food in their teeth...a button is unbuttoned...but I stop short of telling someone their fly is unzipped. Unless it's my dad or son. That just basically tells someone that your eyes are somewhere they shouldn't be, which for me is not necessarily the case...I notice everything.
That guy's mom (whom he looked like he still lived with) probably didn't notice the tag due to her dimished vision in her old age state. It just goes to show...you always need your mom and you should check your clothes for tags before you wear them.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment